Workers’ Compensation and Social Security Disability Benefits for Non-Citizens

If you are not a citizen and you are injured at work, you may be concerned about what your citizenship status means in relation to your access to benefits for your injury.  The answers hinge both on whether you are here legally and what types of benefits you are seeking.

You may be surprised to learn that if you are injured at work while here illegally, you are still entitled to receive medical treatment and workers’ compensation benefits or temporary disability benefits.  In addition to this, you can also receive a reward for your injury.

To pursue social security benefits, you need to be here legally, but you do not have to be a citizen.  You will need to provide the paperwork documenting your legal status as well as documentation of the medical issue preventing you from returning to work.

To learn more about workers’ compensation and disability law, I encourage you to watch the video above and to explore our educational website at If you have legal questions, I want you to call me at (855) 237-9390. I welcome your call.


Gaylord Popp

Offices in Edison, Trenton and Cherry Hill
Toll-Free: 855-237-9390
Local: 609-246-0669

Trenton, NJ Office
850 Bear Tavern Road, Suite 308
Trenton, NJ 08628
Phone: 609-771-8611
Toll Free: 888-716-8086

Woodbridge, NJ Office
581 Main Street, Suite 640
Woodbridge, NJ 07095

Phone: 732-548-6611

Cherry Hill, NJ Office
1814 East Route 70
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
Phone: 856-673-4147